About Me

This blog is to record my trip from Calum's Road in Scotland to Calum's Road in The Gambia. For 20 years, Calum MacLeod toiled alone to build a road to his croft on the island of Raasay, near Skye. He began the arduous job in the 1960s after failing to win public funds for an upgrade, and his exploits featured in the best-selling 2006 book Calum's Road by the Raasay-based author Roger Hutchison. Now that story has inspired the building of a four-mile lifeline road for an impoverished part of Africa, supported by The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust. To raise both funds and the profile of this worthy cause I will be joining a group of friends in January 2010 to ride on motorcycles from the site of the original Calum's Road on Raasay to the new Calum's Road in the Gambia Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: The Gambia Horse And Donkey Trust gets your money faster. All sponsorship goes directly to the charity as I'm covering expenses for the trip myself. Thank you for your support. To sponsor me please visit Just Giving Website

Tuesday 15 December 2009

December 15th

More preparations for the bike today. The ABS warning light had been flashing for so long that I had grown used to it but it was time to get the problem resolved. The bike was booked into Ocean BMW Motorrad in Plymouth for 11.00 am this morning. Another opportunity to test my heated clothing on the cold hour-long ride south. The roads were very wet, dirty and slippery so by the time I arrived at Ocean it looked as if I had ridden over Dartmoor to get there. The bike dealership had changed a bit since I last visited and it was noticeably quieter than previously. They soon had my filthy bike in their nice clean workshop and began to diagnose the problem with the anti-lock braking system. Unfortunately it was not a simple reset and instead I would have to leave the bike with them for a new sensor to be fitted. They provided me with a new "59" plated R1200GS to return home on which was surprisingly pleasant to ride. The newer machine is lighter, more powerful and has sharper brakes than my older model 1100. Bill, the After Sales Manager advised me to return the bike with the same amount of fuel in and noted that it had approximately one third of a tank left. After riding around 15 miles, the fuel light lit up and flashed dire warnings that I must refuel within the next 40 miles. I was surprised when I stop in Okehampton and it only took 15 litres of normal unleaded to fill it to the brim. By comparison, my 1100 is fitted with the large capacity Touratech fuel tank that holds an enormous 41 litres and offers over 400 miles range.

Just past Okehampton, I called on my very good friend Proff who is a great fan of all things two wheeled BMW provided it was made before the early 1980s. I tried to fool him that I had bought the new 1200 but he was only concerned for a few seconds before quickly realising it was only a loan bike.

By the time I got the new 1200 back in my workshop, it looked as filthy as my 1100 had been. Not long after I arrived home, Bill phoned to tell me that they had managed to complete all the work on my bike and it was 100% fixed and ready for collection.

Thats another box ticked on my "to do" list and one less thing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment