About Me

This blog is to record my trip from Calum's Road in Scotland to Calum's Road in The Gambia. For 20 years, Calum MacLeod toiled alone to build a road to his croft on the island of Raasay, near Skye. He began the arduous job in the 1960s after failing to win public funds for an upgrade, and his exploits featured in the best-selling 2006 book Calum's Road by the Raasay-based author Roger Hutchison. Now that story has inspired the building of a four-mile lifeline road for an impoverished part of Africa, supported by The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust. To raise both funds and the profile of this worthy cause I will be joining a group of friends in January 2010 to ride on motorcycles from the site of the original Calum's Road on Raasay to the new Calum's Road in the Gambia Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: The Gambia Horse And Donkey Trust gets your money faster. All sponsorship goes directly to the charity as I'm covering expenses for the trip myself. Thank you for your support. To sponsor me please visit Just Giving Website

Monday 11 January 2010

DAY 5 MONDAY 11TH JANUARY 2010


Left Bordeaux at 10.00 am. Third attempt at riding as a group of three. Exited hotel car park and John turned right and I turned left, not a good start. We had set our satnavs to the same destination but it was giving different directions. At end of street, John's said turn left, mine said straight ahead. Glen's said left so I went with the majority decision. Down next avenue, John's suddenly sent him off up minor side street. My patience was already exhausted so I carried on main road and rode on my own. Oh well it lasted all of 2 miles this time!

A few miles later we all met up again on autoroute. John pulled in behind me and we were riding as a group of three again. Then he suddenly disappeared again. Eventually I needed to stop for fuel and they rode past whilst I was refueling. Flew out of petrol station and caught them up just as they pulled in for fuel at next services. This continued for a while until we finally managed to ride as a group of three and we let John ride up front.

We crossed into Spain without even knowing it. Suddenly, John turned off to the right for no apparent reason, his infamous satnav was leading him astray again. John explained later that he mind ofter wondered and then he would notice his satnav telling him 'turn right in 100 yards' so he did, suddenly and without warning! He found his way back to us after going round in circles twice and having to pay the same toll road charge 3 times. Lovely roads in Spain and finally the sun came out and we could begin to enjoy riding the bikes.

I had a minor problem. On Day One my heated trousers had worked far too well and had managed to burn my right knee to the extent that a large blister developed. Unforunately, the blister burst and it got progressively worse to the point of being very painful. Today it was so swollen that the entire knee was red and obviously inflamed. I went into chemist in Zaragoza and they kept telling me I was 'infecktado' as if I was carrying bubonic plague. Apparently that is Spanish for 'infected' and the whole kneecap is infected and I need to go to a medical centre. I'll follow up in the morning.

We had an excellent tapas meal this evening washed down with some very nice Rioja wine. We know the weather is getting better as the red wine is now being served at the correct room temperature so things are definitely looking up.

Mileage today 318 miles about average so far. Tomorrow we plan to cruise down towards Valencia.

3 comments:

  1. I suggest you sabotage John's satnav while he's asleep...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up Sid enjoying your blog

    Cheers
    Oonyack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. We're in awe of the whole thing here.
    You can get some excellent blister plasters in the farmacias but not sure if that's a good idea on the infected stuff.

    ReplyDelete