About Me

This blog is to record my trip from Calum's Road in Scotland to Calum's Road in The Gambia. For 20 years, Calum MacLeod toiled alone to build a road to his croft on the island of Raasay, near Skye. He began the arduous job in the 1960s after failing to win public funds for an upgrade, and his exploits featured in the best-selling 2006 book Calum's Road by the Raasay-based author Roger Hutchison. Now that story has inspired the building of a four-mile lifeline road for an impoverished part of Africa, supported by The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust. To raise both funds and the profile of this worthy cause I will be joining a group of friends in January 2010 to ride on motorcycles from the site of the original Calum's Road on Raasay to the new Calum's Road in the Gambia Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: The Gambia Horse And Donkey Trust gets your money faster. All sponsorship goes directly to the charity as I'm covering expenses for the trip myself. Thank you for your support. To sponsor me please visit Just Giving Website

Tuesday 2 March 2010

DAY 34 TUESDAY 9th FEBRUARY 2010-02-26

Woken at 8.00 am by sound of dogs barking from French party parked in motorhome behind my chalet. Had breakfast on terrace and then sat there writing up blog detailing yesterdays epic ride. Very peaceful and relaxing environment as always at Zebrabar. The Zebrabar cat even came over and sat down beside me for a cuddle but suddenly spun around and bit me and hooked one of its very sharp claws deep into my thumb causing blood to drip out. After I had managed to extract the claw from my flesh, the cat was told to go away (or words to that effect). Decided to ride into St. Louis to get cash and use internet. Came across my favourite policeman at the edge of town and I was fully prepared for him. I rode well below 40kph hidden behind a lorry as I approached him, indicated when directed and then presented him with all my perfect paperwork. He remembered me from the week before and asked where all my friends were (probably meaning the rich ones who paid him Euro 50). I explained that they had all flown back and it was only me riding back. He asked me where I was going today and I told him the internet cafe. He asked if I would be drinking coffee and I wondered if he was inventing a new offense of riding with excess caffeine in your blood. However, he may have just been trying to be friendly as he let me pass with no further questions.
Parking outside the internet cafe, I soon acquired a “guardian” for my bike despite deliberately parking it right outside the door where I could see it whilst at the PC. He did do a good job of stopping all the local kids climbing all over it so I was happy to pay him the equivalent of one beer for his services. After a gentle ride back to Zebrabar, I had a very relaxing afternoon repacking my panniers and cleaning my gear. My jacket, bike trousers and crash helmet all smelled terrible after the hot sweaty conditions of recent weeks and there is nothing worse than having to put your head inside a dirty smelly crash helmet. Luckily, all the lining and padding in my helmet is removable for cleaning so I could give everything a thorough wash out. I decided that it was about time I used my petrol burning stove along with the ready meals I had carried for over 5,000 miles. I drained half a litre of petrol from the bike and cooked myself a tasty meal. Lessons learnt from the previous days ride meant I intended to have an early start on Wednesday as I have more borders and countries to cross so everything must be fully packed this evening and another early night in preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment